February 20, 2023
Party Encounter Strategy
The key to a successful Encounter is a solid strategy!
As you progress deeper into the Campaign, you’ll find particularly challenging Party Encounters. Your Heroes are powerful, but sometimes they will need some extra help to fight back the dark forces that plague Eos. Combat Items can be used during these Party Encounters to give them an extra edge, and when combined with sound strategy, you’ll be unstoppable!
Strategy and Tactics
Some Party Encounters can prove to be very dangerous, particularly if you’re up against a Boss. When you’re battling against difficult denizens, keep some of these tips in mind to push through.
Bring the Right Party
- Strive for a balance and pick Heroes that work well together. Each Hero plays a role and has certain strengths or weaknesses - leverage their strengths to cover others’ weaknesses.
- Positioning is key to success. When preparing your Party for a Party Encounter, make sure to put your Tank Heroes up front and your Support Heroes behind them. Consider your enemies’ positioning as well.
Study your Opponent
- Make sure to tap on enemy portraits before entering a Combat Encounter to preview their Skills, Strengths, Weaknesses, and more. Building your Party’s strengths to counter your enemies’ weaknesses is a great way to ensure victory.
Battle with Wisdom
- Your Party Leader and their Limit Break Skill is important - using the right Limit Break at the right time can turn the tide of battle. For example, Noctis’ Armiger Chain will start a Party Link-strike, where your whole Party will focus on a single target. We like to save it for the beginning of a wave and use it to quickly eliminate a full health target!
- Just like your Party Leader’s Limit Break, your other Heroes’ Techniques can be used strategically to secure a win. For example, Chapter 1’s Boss, the Arachne Queen, uses a dangerous channeling ability that can leave her Vulnerable if she takes 10% of her maximum Health in damage. You can save multiple Heroes’ Techniques and unleash all of them together for this sweet spot to ensure that you’re taking advantage of her weakness while channeling!
- A well timed Combat Item can make a huge difference. If you’re stuck on a tough Party Encounter, consider which Items you’re bringing with you and when to use them.
Combat Items can be brought with you into Party Encounters to help defeat your enemies. Tapping on a Combat Item during a Party Encounter will consume it and activate its ability. Use them strategically to get the most out of them.
- Only two Combat Items can be brought with you, and they can be selected alongside your Heroes before initiating a Party Encounter.
- Only a certain number of Items can be used during a single Party Encounter. This number depends on that Item, and is indicated when selecting that Item before that Party Encounter begins - this number of uses is detailed in the ‘Uses in Combat’ column below.
- Some Items may have a cooldown timer before they can be used again. When an Item can’t be used, it will appear as gray during your Party Encounter - tapping on a grayed Item will offer an explanation as to why it can’t be used.
- Combat Items are stored in the Combat tab of your Inventory, and consumed Items are only removed from your Inventory when you win a Party Encounter. Losing, Restarting, or Quitting will not remove a Combat Item from your Inventory, even if it was used in that Party Encounter.
- The effects of some items, such as Moogle Plushie, scale according to your Leader’s stats.
|Item Image||Combat Item Name||Description||Uses in Combat||Cooldown|
|Elixir||All party members gain 15% Health and 10% Tech Charge.||3||1 Second|
|Ether||All party members gain 15% Tech Charge.||3||1 Second|
|Flesh Fortifier||All party members gain 20% HP Boost for 15 seconds.||2||30 Seconds|
|Hi-Potion||Restores 40% of the weakest party member’s Health.||3||1 Second|
|Magitek Booster||For the next 15 seconds, party members gain 25% Technique Charge when they use their Technique.||3||30 Seconds|
|Mega Phoenix||Revive all Downed Heroes to 40% Health.||1|
|Mega Potion||Restores 100% of the weakest party member’s Health.||2||1 Second|
|Moogle Plushie||Summons a Moogle Plushie that Provokes nearby enemies for 15 seconds.||2||30 Seconds|
|Muscle Stimulant||All party members gain 30% Attack Boost for 15 seconds.||5||30 Seconds|
|Phoenix Down||Revives a random fallen party member to 60% HP.||2||30 Seconds|
|Potion||Restores 20% HP of the weakest party member's Health.||4||1 Second|
|Reflex Enhancer||All party members gain 30% Evasion Boost for 15 seconds.||5||30 Seconds|
|Spirit ZX||All party members gain 30% Spirit Boost for 15 seconds.||5||30 Seconds|
|Superior Restorative||All party members gain Revitalized for 5 seconds.||2||30 Seconds|
|Verve WX||All party members gain 30% Magic Boost for 15 seconds.||5||30 Seconds|
All combatants in Party Encounters (including your enemies) have the potential to apply unique Status Effects during combat using their Skills. Understanding Status Effects and how they impact the flow of battle can provide a huge strategic advantage.
- Positive Status Effects are typically applied to a combatant’s ally or allies, and provide benefits like immunities and damage reduction.
- Negative Status Effects are typically applied to a combatant’s enemy or multiple enemies, and provide debuffs like stat reduction and incapacitation.
- Status Effects can make a huge difference during Party Encounters, especially when used in tandem! For example, providing an ally with Critical Damage Boost and then attacking an enemy inflicted with Imperil, which drastically reduces their Critical Avoid stat! Make sure to build your Party with their Skills and potential Status Effects in mind.
Positive Status Effects
|Status Effect||Description||Effect Categories|
|Frostproof||Combatant is immune to the effects of Ice debuffs.||Immunity, Elemental, Ice|
|Frost Reduction||Ice debuffs are less effective against the Combatant.||Reduction, Elemental, Ice|
|Flameproof||Combatant is immune to the effects of Fire debuffs.||Immunity, Elemental, Fire|
|Flame Reduction||Fire debuffs are less effective against the Combatant.||Reduction, Elemental, Fire|
|Stormproof||Combatant is immune to the effects of Lightning debuffs.||Immunity, Elemental, Lightning|
|Storm Reduction||Lightning debuffs are less effective against the Combatant.||Reduction, Elemental, Lightning|
|Poison Reduction||Poison debuffs are less effective against the Combatant.||Reduction, Health, Poison|
|Control Immunity||Combatant is immune to the effects of Control debuffs.||Immunity, Control|
|Knockback Immunity||Combatant is immune to Knockback effects.||Immunity|
|Stop Immunity||Combatant is immune to the effects of Stop.||Immunity|
|Debuff Immunity||Combatant is immune to the effects of all debuffs besides Instant Death.||Immunity|
|Deathproof||Combatant is immune to Instant Death and cannot fall below 1 HP.||Immunity|
|Impervious||Combatant is immune to all damage.||Immunity, Reduction, Health, Damage|
|Barrier||Combatant takes reduced damage.||Reduction, Health, Damage|
|Airborne||Combatant is immune to Control effects and cannot be targeted by Melee skills.||Immunity, Targeting|
|Hidden||Combatant is less likely to be targeted by enemies.||Targeting|
|Attack Boost||Combatant's Attack is increased.||Offensive, Attack|
|Tenacious||Combatant's Attack is increased (stacking).||Offensive, Attack|
|Defense Boost||Combatant's Defense is increased.||Defensive, Defense|
|HP Boost||Combatant's Max HP is increased.||Defensive, Health|
|Critical Boost||Combatant's Critical Chance is increased.||Offensive, Critical Chance|
|Critical Avoid Boost||Combatant's Critical Avoidance is increased.||Defensive, Critical Avoidance|
|Critical Damage Boost||Combatant's Critical Damage is increased.||Offensive, Critical Damage|
|Dodge Boost||Combatant's Evasion is increased by a flat amount.||Defensive, Evasion|
|Nimble||Combatant's Evasion is increased by a percent amount.||Defensive, Evasion|
|Spirit Boost||Combatant's Spirit is increased.||Defensive, Spirit|
|Magic Boost||Combatant's Magic is increased.||Offensive, Magic|
|Accuracy Boost||Combatant's Accuracy is increased.||Offensive, Accuracy|
|Haste||Combatant's Attack and Move Speed are increased.||Offensive, Speed|
|Attack Speed Boost||Combatant's Attack Speed is increased.||Offensive, Speed|
|Move Speed Boost||Combatant's Move Speed is increased.||Speed|
|Shield Boost||Combatant gains Shield (Temporary HP).||Defensive, Healing, Shield|
|Combat Upgrade||Combatant's Attack and Defense are increased.||Offensive, Defensive, Attack, Defense, Upgrade|
|Enraged||Combatant's Attack is increased based on their missing HP.||Offensive, Attack|
|Frenzied||Combatant's Critical Chance, Attack, and Attack Speed are increased.||Offensive, Critical Chance, Attack, Speed|
|Charge Boost||Combatant's Technique and Limit Break charge faster.||Ability Charge|
|Inspired||Combatant gains Tech Charge over time.||Ability Charge|
|Serene||Combatant cannot attack or move, but quickly recovers HP and Tech Charge.||Ability Charge, Health, Healing, Heal Over Time|
|Revitalized||Combatant quickly recovers HP over time.||Health, Healing, Heal Over Time|
|Stormbound||Combatant’s weapons are infused with Lightning.Non-Critical Hits inflict Static for 5 seconds.Critical Hits inflict Shocked for 5 seconds.||Augmentation, Elemental, Lightning|
|Flamebound||Combatant’s weapons are infused with Fire.Non-Critical Hits inflict Singe for 5 seconds.Critical Hits inflict Burnt for 5 seconds.||Augmentation, Elemental, Fire|
|Frostbound||Combatant’s weapons are infused with Ice.Critical Hits inflict Frozen for 2 seconds.||Augmentation, Elemental, Ice|
|Carbuncle’s Vigor||While their Technique is fully charged, Combatant’s Attack is increased based on a percent of Carbuncle’s Attack.||Offensive, Attack|
|Skill Boost||When using Skills, Combatant gains additional Tech Charge based on their combined stacks of Upgrade buffs (max 5x).||Offensive, Ability Charge, Upgrade|
|Tech Boost||While using their Technique, Combatant’s Attack and Magic are increased by their combined stacks of Upgrade buffs (max 5x).||Offensive, Upgrade|
|Hard Work||Enhances the effects of Cid’s Limit Break.||Upgrade|
|Magitek Booster||After using their Technique, Combatant gains bonus Tech Charge.||Ability Charge|
|Companion||Combatant will be supported by Iris.||Targeting|
|Shield Syphon||Combatant gains Shield (Temporary HP) based on damage dealt.||Healing, Shield|
Negative Status Effects
|Status Effect||Description||Effect Categories|
|Buff Immunity||Combatant is immune to the effects of all buffs.||Immunity|
|Revive Block||Combatant cannot be revived if they are Downed.||Immunity|
|Heal Immunity||Combatant cannot recover HP.||Immunity, Healing|
|Shield Immunity||Combatant cannot gain Shield.||Immunity, Shield|
|Frost Weakness||Ice debuffs are less effective against the Combatant.||Weakness, Elemental, Ice|
|Flame Weakness||Fire debuffs are less effective against the Combatant.||Weakness, Elemental, Fire|
|Storm Weakness||Lightning debuffs are less effective against the Combatant.||Weakness, Elemental, Lightning|
|Poison Weakness||Poison debuffs are less effective against the Combatant.||Weakness, Health, Poison|
|Enfeebled||Combatant’s Attack is decreased.||Offensive, Attack|
|Compromised||Combatant’s Defense is decreased.||Defensive, Defense|
|Magic Down||Combatant’s Magic is decreased.||Offensive, Attack|
|Cursed||Combatant’s Spirit is decreased.||Defensive, Spirit|
|Blinded||Combatant’s Accuracy is decreased.||Offensive, Accuracy|
|Critical Damage Down||Combatant’s Critical Damage is decreased.||Offensive, Critical Damage|
|Critical Down||Combatant’s Critical Chance is decreased.||Offensive, Critical Chance|
|Slow||Combatant’s Attack Speed and/or Move Speed are decreased.||Offensive, Speed|
|Enervated||All of Combatant’s Stats are decreased.||Offensive, Defensive, Attack, Defense, Magic, Spirit, Critical Chance, Critical Avoidance, Accuracy, Evasion|
|Imperil||Attacks against the Combatant are guaranteed to Critically Hit.||Defensive, Imperil|
|Charge Block||Combatant cannot gain Tech Charge or Limit Break Charge.||Ability Charge|
|Knockback||Combatant is knocked backwards and cannot move or attack.||Control, Knockback|
|Stagger||Combatant is briefly knocked backwards and they are temporarily Stunned.||Control, Knockback|
|Stun||Combatant is incapacitated and cannot dodge, move, or attack.||Control|
|Vulnerable||Combatant takes increased damage from Techniques and Limit Breaks, is immune to Knockback effects, and cannot dodge, move, or attack.||Boss|
|Stop||Combatant is suspended in time and unable to move or attack.||Control|
|Frozen||Combatant is frozen in place and cannot dodge, move, or attack.Combatant takes additional damage if they are Critically Hit.||Control, Elemental, Ice|
|Chill||Combatant’s Evasion, Attack Speed and Move Speed are reduced by 5% per stack of Chill (max 5 stacks). Combatant becomes Frozen for 2 seconds if they have 5 stacks of Chill.||Elemental, Ice, Speed, Evasion|
|Shocked||Combatant is unable to gain Shield.Combatant takes additional damage if they are Critically Hit.||Elemental, Lightning, Health|
|Static||Combatant’s Critical Chance and Critical Avoid are reduced by 5% per stack of Static (max 5 stacks). Combatant becomes Shocked for 5 seconds if they have 5 stacks of Static.||Elemental, Lightning, Critical Chance, Critical Avoidance|
|Burnt||Combatant takes damage over time based on their Max HP.Combatant takes additional damage if they are Critically Hit.||Elemental, Fire, Damage Over Time, Health|
|Singe||Combatant’s Offense and Defense are reduced by 5% per stack of Singe (max 5 stacks). Combatant becomes Burnt for 5 seconds if they have 5 stacks of Singe.||Elemental, Fire, Attack, Defense|
|Poisoned||Combatant takes damage over time based on their Max HP.||Poison, Damage Over Time, Health|
|Silence||Combatant cannot use advanced Skills or Techniques.||Control|
|Confused||Combatant is disoriented and unable to discern friend from foe.||Control|
|Toad||Combatant is transformed into a Toad and has 40% reduced Defense. Ribbit!||Control|
|Marked||Combatant is more likely to be targeted by enemies.||Targeting|
|Provoked||Combatant will target the source of the effect if able.||Targeting|
|Starscourge||Combatant’s Critical Chance is decreased by 40% and their Attack is increased by 40%.||Critical Chance, Attack|